According to the report’s findings on the status of fraud in Spain edited by the Association of Spanish Companies Against Fraud, fraud attempts have increased in the last year. At the same time, identity theft is the most reported type of fraud. Consequently, it is recommended for companies to use digital identity verification to avoid losing money and falling victim to scams, thereby risking their reputations. This post will talk about how you can perform digital identity verification securely.
Increasing use of the Internet and social networks has led to a spike in data and identity theft. For example, there has been a recent increase in the number of cases of falsified or stolen personal identification information to open bank accounts, acquire services or buy products.
How can you secure digital identity verification?
Various forms of secure digital identity verification are now available due to the prevalence of online transactions, such as opening a bank account or signing up for mobile phone service. As a result, companies aim to provide optimal security and positive customer experiences.
At Lleida.net, we provide companies with eKYC Video, which works as follows:
- The user connects through a device (computer, mobile phone, or tablet) with the company whose products or services they wish to acquire.
- The entire process is done in real-time and recorded on video.
- First, both sides of the client’s identity document (ID card, passport, or driving licence) are captured on video. Moreover, the validity of the document is analysed with artificial intelligence.
- Then, the user takes a selfie. Technology is also applied to verify that the user is real and human, thereby ensuring that the image has not been created fraudulently or through a video recording of another person.
- Using artificial intelligence, the system performs a biometric analysis of the selfie captured (analysing unique characteristics of the applicant, including the shape of the face, the distance between the eyes, characteristics of the iris, etc.) and of the identity document.
- Finally, based on the analysis carried out, it determines whether the identification is valid or not. Thus, this process verifies the authenticity of the documents provided by the client, as well as the identity of the client.
- All information collected during the process is saved, including the video of the identification process, the results of the digital identity validation, the front and back of the ID document, the selfie that was taken during the process, and the date and time of the session, as well as the user’s geolocation and technical details of the validation process.
Once the digital identity verification has been carried out securely, the client will sign the corresponding contracts and access the specific products or services. In addition, upon completion of this process, the company will be able to provide its services to the client, guaranteeing satisfaction for both parties in a process that only takes a few minutes to carry out.
What sectors need secure digital identity verification?
Many companies need to carry out their clients’ secure digital identity verification. Still, some sectors specifically require an additional degree of security to avoid identity fraud due to specific regulations or the type of operations they carry out. They include the following:
- Banks and Fintech companies. These establishments and companies carry out various procedures for which digital identity verification is essential, including opening bank accounts and taking out mortgages or credit cards, among others.
- Public services. In public services such as healthcare or paying taxes, the secure verification of digital identity is essential to avoid fraud; therefore, the use of electronic certificates and other systems is an absolute requirement for many of these processes.
- Insurance companies and Insurtech. Paperwork with insurance companies is becoming increasingly digitised (for example, when taking out policies, extending contracts, or reporting claims). To avoid fraud, insurance companies must apply secure digital identity verification processes.
- Real estate agencies. Real estate agencies and other agents in the real estate market carry out transactions such as signing contracts for leases, sales, transfers, rentals with the option to buy or sales mandates in which clients must be identified securely.
With the increasing prevalence of online transactions, users increasingly demand fully digitalised services, making secure digital identity verification processes (including eKYC Photo or eKYC Doc) necessary eKYC Photo or eKYC Doc) a must for all companies that want to further develop their digital transformation.